Making school chalk in Nigeria is a very simple task and its processes are straight forward.
It is also a lucrative business that you can start in Nigeria with a small capital.
Anybody can learn how to do it successfully without supervision.
For this reason, school chalk production has been incorporated into the curriculum of almost every skill acquisition center in Nigeria.
School chalk can be done in the comfort of your home, you don’t need to establish a big factory..
The major equipment used for the production of school chalk in Nigeria is the chalk mould.
The chalk mould is primarily used for moulding the chalk to give it its characteristics, shape, size and length.
Raw Materials Needed For School Chalk Production In Nigeria
1. Plaster Of Paris : The Plaster Of Paris or as it is generally called ‘POP‘ is the major raw material for the production of school chalk.
Plaster of Paris (POP) is a white powder, scientifically called ‘calcium carbonate’ that when mixed with water forms a gentle hardening paste.
It is used for sculpting and making casts and in medicine for moulding casts around broken limbs.
2. Lubricants : This is another important raw material used in making chalks used in schools.
It could be any cooking oil or coconut oil mixed for lubricating the chalk mould to prevent the POP from sticking to it.
3. Clean Water : Water is a very important element in school chalk production, because it is used for mixing all ingredients.
4. Ultramarine blue (optional) : Ultramarine blue is used to give the chalk a dark blue or a sky blue colour depending on its concentration.
If you intend to produce only white chalks, then you will not need to add ultramarine blue.
Equipments or Machinery Needed
1. Chalk Mould : This is the major equipment used in the production of school chalks. It is either made of rubber or metal, but usually with a wooden frame.
But there are some chalk moulds that are completely made of metal.
The moulds differs according to the number of holes or cavities they have. Some could have 240 holes or even more.
The number of holes or cavities a chalk mould has, determines the number of chalk sticks it can produce at a time.
2. Scraper : This is a flat metal object used for scraping the surface of the mould.
3. Paint Brush : The paint brush is used to apply lubricant on the mould befit filling it up with POP.
4. Dryer : For small scale chalk production, sun drying is perfectly okay to save cost.
Mechanical dryers are mostly used in large scale production of school chalks. It is used to dry the chalk after it has been removed from the mould.
5. Hand Gloves : This is basically used for protecting the hand during the mixing of the POP and water.
6. Packaging Materials : These could include nylon bags and branded carton packs.
How To Make School Chalks In Nigeria
Follow the procedures below if you want make chalks by yourself easily.
- Step 1 : Pour some POP into a container, preferably a bucket and add water.
- Step 2 : Use your hand to mix the POP with the water until it forms a paste.
- Step 3 : Using the paint brush, lubricate the surface of the chalk mould properly with a solution of cooking oil and kerosene, to prevent the POP from sticking to the mould.
- Step 4 : Arrange the moulds, then pour the paste mixture into it and allow it to solidify for 15 – 20 minutes before loosening the mould.
- Step 5 : When you are sure that the chalk has formed, loose the mould and collect the chalks for sun drying or through a mechanical dryer.
- Step 6 : After sun drying the chalks for 2 – 3 days, package the chalk in branded carton packs and your school chalk is ready for sale.
That’s it, it is very easy to make. You can easily make some money out of it.
Please share this post with your friends, it will surely help them. Sharing is caring.
Subscribe to our newsletter if you want to get more guides like this in your email inbox for free.
Am Ike Michael , i love to write articles that will be helpful to job seekers in Nigerians recruitmentformportal is a blog design not only to help most job seekers but also to help you know when particularly government agency is recruiting.